The Corporation of the Town of Orangeville
invites applications for the position of
Parks Seasonal - Horticulture Assistant
Community Services Department
(Contract position, 40 hours per week)
The Parks Seasonal - Horticulture Assistant assists with maintaining horticultural, landscape elements, and performing a variety of duties to operate and maintain Town properties and facilities. This is a temporary contract position, the dates of which are April 23 to October 11, 2019.
Duties of the position include:
- Designing and maintaining areas that include preparation and planting of annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, and not limited to watering, pruning, fertilizing, cultivating, mulching and edging.
- Operating a variety of equipment to conduct cultivation, planting, weeding and pruning, and performing daily maintenance on equipment/vehicles as required.
- Maintaining public parks, open spaces, trails, sports fields, splash pad and other facilities.
- Providing direction to a crew of student labourers as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications of the position include:
- College diploma in Horticulture or related discipline.
- One (1) to two (2) years’ of related work experience. Municipal parks environment, including horticultural is considered an asset.
- Standard First Aid/CPR/AED upon hire.
- Full G license in good standing.
- Landscape pesticide licence.
- Mechanical skills including the ability to operate various equipment, perform basic maintenance on equipment relating to horticulture.
- Effective customer service skills to deal courteously and effectively with the public, suppliers, contractors, and other Town departments.
- Physically demanding work in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work various shifts and flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with computers, mobile devices and associated software such as Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
Hourly Range: $25.06 - $29.32 per hour, Band 5 on Town’s 2018 pay grid
Qualified internal candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant no later than 4 p.m. on Tuesday, February 19, 2019. Applications may be submitted online, emailed to email@example.com, or submitted in person to the Town Hall located on 87 Broadway. If submitting a resume via email, please quote the job title in the subject line.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Questions about this collection should be directed to the attention of the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.