EXTERNAL JOB OPPORTUNITY
POSITION: HORTICULTURIST III - SEASONAL
JOB POSTING #: 2019-0030
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, January 21, 2109 8:30 a.m. to Friday, February 1, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 82
JOB CODE: 82087
POSITION STATUS: Temporary Full-Time Seasonal
GRADE/CLASS: EA4 Band 6
# OF POSITIONS: Up to (6) six
RATE OF PAY: $29.39 per hour
POSITION #: Not Applicable
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: Yes
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours per week
Reporting to a Manager in the Parks department or designate(s), the incumbent will be responsible for performing various duties associated with Horticulture related activities for the City of Windsor, including but not limited to: greenhouse operations, parks, facilities and right-of-way(s). Responsibilities will include: the growing of, and maintenance of plant material, such as: propagating, planting, fertilization, transplanting, pruning, chemical control, watering and maintenance of various species of ornamental plants; Care and culture of display areas, gardens, greenhouses, nurseries, and ornamental tree and shrub beds; Will operate irrigation systems, treat and control plant diseases; insects and weed infestations. Position responsibilities may fluctuate and will be in accordance with seasonal changes and requirements related to parks and facility operations. Will perform snow removal, and salting duties at various City-owned facilities and properties as required; Will provide instruction and guidance to trainees and students; During the course of duties will liaise with members of the general public and City staff members; Will be required to lift, carry, push, or pull, equipment, tools, and other related materials. Will perform Occupational Health and Safety duties as outlined in the Corporate Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus one (1) year of post secondary school courses in Horticulture or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over one (1) year of experience in the field of gardening and landscaping;
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement OR Must attain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a “Z” endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle within the first 120-calendar days of employment. Failure to obtain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act within the first 120-calendar days of employment will result in termination of employment;
- Must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must possess a valid Forestry Exterminator, Industrial Vegetation Exterminator and Landscape Exterminator pesticide licenses issued by the Ministry of the Environment; ORMust attain valid Forestry Exterminator, Industrial Vegetation Exterminator and Landscape Exterminator pesticide licenses issued by the Ministry of the Environment within the first 120- calendar days of employment. Failure to obtain all (3) three required licenses within the first 120-calendar days of employment will result in termination of employment;
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision;
- Must have good public relation skills and ability to work in a team environment;
- Must be able to instruct and guide trainees and students;
- A Certified Irrigation Technician certificate would be considered an asset;
- Must be available for shifts scheduled Sunday through Saturday inclusive of statutory holidays;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a heavy level of work;
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job
- Upon initially being hired, Seasonal employees shall provide at their own expense the following in accordance with the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) of the duties being performed: two (2) shirts, two (2) pairs of pants, Canadian Safety Association (CSA) safety boots/shoes and a black CSA approved hockey helmet as approved by the Corporation that shall identify them as City of Windsor employees.
- The above clothing/boots/helmet shall be eligible to be replaced at the Corporation’s expense after successful completion of 120 days of employment as a Seasonal employee upon presentation or surrendering of worn out or irreparably damaged items to their Supervisor or as deemed necessary by the supervisor.
- Seasonal employees will be provided with one (1) pair of winter coveralls.
- Upon completion of the provisions as outlined in 2. above, for those clothing items in Article 22.01 that the Seasonal employee wishes to obtain the cost shall be shared by the Corporation and the Seasonal employee on a 50/50% basis.
- Seasonal employees will be ineligible for application and inclusion on regular full - time Classification Seniority Lists. However, due to operational requirements of the Parks Department, Seasonal employees hired as (82087) Horticulturist III may be required to work in the classification of (82104) General Duties II - Labourer. Any Seasonal employee working as (82104) General Duties II – Labourer shall be paid the rate of pay associated with the classification (EA4 – Band 3 or $26.71). Article 24.03 of the C.U.P.E. Local 82 Collective Agreement will not apply to Seasonal workers.
HOW TO APPLY:
- An online application is available and must be completed and submitted by no later than the posting period noted. Internet access is available at your local library branch.
- Applicants who do not have access to a computer must attend the City of Windsor’s Human Resources Department, located at 400 City Hall Square East, 4th Floor, Suite 408, to complete a paper copy of the application.
- The City of Windsor strives to protect all personal information submitted via the internet in response to job postings. We will not ask you to provide your social insurance number or banking or other financial information. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. We cannot guarantee that data in our system is immune from unauthorized access. Please have this in mind when you decide to respond to job postings.
- To apply for this position, click APPLY NOW
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.