EXTERNAL JOB OPPORTUNITY
POSITION: HORTICULTURIST III
JOB POSTING #: 2019-0030
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, January 21, 2109 8:30 a.m. to Friday, February 1, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 82
JOB CODE: 82087
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
GRADE/CLASS: EA4 Band 6
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $29.39 per hour
POSITION #: 00002386
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Parks – Horticulture or designate(s), the incumbent will be responsible for performing various duties associated with Horticulture related activities for the City of Windsor, including but not limited to: greenhouse operations, parks, facilities and right-of-way(s). Responsibilities will include: the growing of, and maintenance of plant material, such as: propagating, planting, fertilization, transplanting, pruning, chemical control, watering and maintenance of various species of ornamental plants; Care and culture of display areas, gardens, greenhouses, nurseries, and ornamental tree and shrub beds; Will operate irrigation systems, treat and control plant diseases; insects and weed infestations. Position responsibilities may fluctuate and will be in accordance with seasonal changes and requirements related to parks and facility operations. Will perform snow removal, and salting duties at various City-owned facilities and properties as required; Will provide instruction and guidance to trainees and students; During the course of duties will liaise with members of the general public and City staff members; Will be required to lift, carry, push, or pull, equipment, tools, and other related materials. Will perform Occupational Health and Safety duties as outlined in the Corporate Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus one (1) year of post secondary school courses in Horticulture or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over one (1) years of experience in the field of gardening and landscaping;
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement OR Must attain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a “Z” endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle within the first 120-calendar days of employment. Failure to obtain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act within the first 120-calendar days of employment will result in termination of employment;
- Must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must possess a valid Forestry Exterminator, Industrial Vegetation Exterminator and Landscape Exterminator pesticide licenses issued by the Ministry of the Environment; OR Must attain valid Forestry Exterminator, Industrial Vegetation Exterminator and Landscape Exterminator pesticide licenses issued by the Ministry of the Environment within the first 120- calendar days of employment. Failure to obtain all (3) three required licenses within the first 120-calendar days of employment will result in termination of employment;
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision;
- Must have good public relation skills and ability to work in a team environment;
- Must be able to instruct and guide trainees and students;
- A Certified Irrigation Technician certificate would be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a heavy level of work;
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job.
HOW TO APPLY:
- An online application is available and must be completed and submitted by no later than the posting period noted. Internet access is available at your local library branch.
- Applicants who do not have access to a computer must attend the City of Windsor’s Human Resources Department, located at 400 City Hall Square East, 4th Floor, Suite 408, to complete a paper copy of the application.
- The City of Windsor strives to protect all personal information submitted via the internet in response to job postings. We will not ask you to provide your social insurance number or banking or other financial information. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. We cannot guarantee that data in our system is immune from unauthorized access. Please have this in mind when you decide to respond to job postings.
- To apply for this position, click APPLY NOW
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.