EXTERNAL JOB OPPORTUNITY
POSITION: HORTICULTURIST I
JOB POSTING #: 2019-0029
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, January 21, 2109 8:30 a.m. to Friday, February 1, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 82
JOB CODE: 82059
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
GRADE/CLASS: EA4 007
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $30.33 per hour
POSITION #: 00005550
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Parks - Horticulture or designate(s), this position will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Greenhouse and attendant nursery areas including but not limited to: determining growing timelines for crops; propagating, planting, watering, fertilizing, transplanting, and chemical application; Responsible for regulating the heating and venting requirements of the greenhouses. Will conduct security, climate control and general maintenance of the greenhouse facilities; Diagnoses and corrects insect and disease problems; fumigating and frequently spraying various chemical; Monitors gauges and also performs periodic checks after hours and on weekends for security and climate control purposes. Communicates and cooperates with other employees in their respective operations and the general public; Instructs and guides trainees and students; Conducts and records inventory of plant material and makes recommendations to supervisor; Repairs and replaces glass and applies shading on greenhouse structure; Maintains cleanliness and secures equipment, gates, storage buildings and work areas. Operates and maintains power and hand tool, equipment. Applicant may be required to drive “A”, “B”, or “C” truck as necessary; Will be required to lift, carry, push, or pull items which include equipment, tools, and other related materials. During the course of duties, will liaise with members of the general public and city staff members. Will perform Occupational Health and Safety duties as outlined in the Corporate Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus two (2) years of post secondary school courses in Horticulture or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over (3) three years experience in the field of Horticulture and Landscape;
- Must possess valid Forestry Exterminator, Industrial Vegetation Exterminator, Landscape Exterminator, and Structural (Greenhouse) Exterminator pesticide licenses issued by the Ministry of the Environment OR Must attain valid Forestry Exterminator, Industrial Vegetation Exterminator, Landscape Exterminator, and Structural (Greenhouse) Exterminator pesticide licenses issued by the Ministry of the Environment within the first 120 -calendar days of employment. Failure to obtain all (4) four required licenses within the first 120 -calendar days of employment will result in termination of employment;
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement OR Must attain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a “Z” endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle within the first 120-calendar days of employment. Failure to obtain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act within the first 120-calendar days of employment will result in termination of employment;
- Must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a heavy level of work.
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job;
- Must be able to instruct and guide trainees and students;
- Must be available for shifts scheduled Sunday through Saturday inclusive of statutory holidays;
- Will be required to communicate and cooperate with the public and other employees in their respective operations with minimal supervision; current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement OR Must attain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a “Z” endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle within the first 120-calendar days of employment.
HOW TO APPLY:
- An online application is available and must be completed and submitted by no later than the posting period noted. Internet access is available at your local library branch.
- Applicants who do not have access to a computer must attend the City of Windsor’s Human Resources Department, located at 400 City Hall Square East, 4th Floor, Suite 408, to complete a paper copy of the application.
- The City of Windsor strives to protect all personal information submitted via the internet in response to job postings. We will not ask you to provide your social insurance number or banking or other financial information. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. We cannot guarantee that data in our system is immune from unauthorized access. Please have this in mind when you decide to respond to job postings.
- To apply for this position, click APPLY NOW
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.