Pickering is a vibrant, connected, and engaged community that is experiencing both significant economic and residential growth. We continue to evolve as a preferred destination for creative learning, memorable events, and unique experiences, and are seeking passionate candidates that are committed to joining us on our journey.
Our dedicated, energetic staff are guided by our core values and corporate priorities which fuel an inclusive culture and encourages teamwork, customer service excellence, and personal and professional growth.
The City provides a competitive compensation and benefits package with a focus on workplace wellness. Explore our career opportunities and see how you can make a difference.
The incumbent is primarily responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of plants, shrubs and some trees on municipally owned or operated property according to established service levels, standards and horticultural practices. Other responsibilities include participating in Winter Control Operations involving snow plowing, shoveling and operating light to heavy snow removal equipment such as snow blowers, articulating tractors and participation in the Standby Program.
Successful applicants will possess the following:
- Post-secondary Diploma from a recognized school of Horticulture.
- Valid Exterminator Licences in Landscape and Industrial Vegetation from the Ministry of Environment.
- Two years related experience performing similar work.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the standard methods, materials (including pesticides), tools and equipment used in horticultural, construction and maintenance activities as well as the occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the work.
- Demonstrable ability to operate light machinery and equipment used in the performance of duties.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills to deal effectively with the general public and co-workers, good comprehension skills to understand and execute verbal and written instructions and effective communication skills to express ideas orally and in writing.
- Must be medically and physically fit to perform the duties of this position.
- Must possess a valid Class G Ontario Driver’s Licence. Must provide consent to conduct ongoing Driver’s Abstracts through the Ministry of Transportation. A clean driving record is preferred.
Compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package, pension plan and a salary ranging from $31.23/hr. to $34.70/hr. (based on a 40 hour work week).
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed resume or online application form by Friday January 25, 2019 to:
Human Resources Division
One The Esplanade
Pickering, ON L1V 6K7
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By Fax: 905.420.4638
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. Please contact Human Resources if you require accommodations throughout the recruitment process. Documents are available alternate formats upon request.
An Equal Opportunity Employer