AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Supervisor of Central Operations this position leads, directs and supervises the Construction unit to meet and maintain established service levels through Corporate, Departmental and Divisional Standard Operating Procedures.
- Plan, co-ordinate, schedule and supervise the personnel, equipment, materials and methods of the construction work group ensuring the most efficient use of manpower, equipment and materials;
- Lead various construction and asset repair projects as well as inspect completed work for quantity, quality and safe/efficient operation of tools and equipment;
- Liaise with Asset Management/Life Cycle Coordinator in order to maintain current records for the purpose of PSAB reporting, condition reports to monitor life cycle replacement programs
- Liaise with internal and external customers, (Community Services, Public Works, contractors, manufacturers) to coordinate efforts in the completion of works;
- Respond to public and internal complaints, concerns or inquiries regarding construction/asset repair projects and providing a response or initiate follow-up action as required;
- Prepare reports on current crew status, various concerns, budget items, long and short term goals and other departmental issues as they arise;
- Inspect all work areas including parkland, buildings, structures and equipment to ensure productivity, proper operation, cleanliness and safety;
- Ensure up to date techniques, procedures and equipment are used to complete a job task in a safe and efficient manner;
- Assists Supervisor in administering the section by recording of time, costing of projects and the purchase of materials. This will include computer input and data retrieval necessary for completion of projects;
- Develop and well as oversee staff training for procedures or equipment specific to the construction work unit;
- Assist with the preparation of annual budgets;
- Perform on call duties;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 plus post-secondary Diploma or Certificate in Horticulture Science, Landscape Technology, Civil Engineering Technician or equivalent;
- Current CAN/CSA Z614-07 Playground Practitioner Certificate; Irrigation Technician Certificate preferred;
- Minimum 5 years of parks related experience with 3 years supervisory experience in a unionized environment;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills are essential;
- Knowledge of small and heavy equipment operation and the use/operation of computers, including MS Office;
- Excellent customer service/public relations skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Must possess a valid Ontario “G” Driver’s Licence;
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $77,201.00 per annum
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: October 19, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103159 by October 19, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.