Supervisor, Forest Planning & Health
Roads, Parks & Forestry Department
Job Number: RPF-38-18
Employment Status: Full Time Permanent
Position Overview: This position is responsible for the overall management of urban forest health and planning in the City and reports to the Manager, Urban Forestry.
The Supervisor, Forest Planning & Health is responsible for:
- Supervising three city staff and a number of contracted consultants.
- Liaising with the public, development industry, utilities, non-governmental organizations, and other civic departments regarding forestry issues.
- Administering the conditions of the City Public Tree By-law and City Private Tree By-law (pending future approval), including application review, issuing of infractions, attending court, and issuing and cancelling of City tree permits.
- Coordinating Urban Forest health planning and a proactive program of urban forestry for due diligence.
- Managing department planting, contracted services, and tree pest budgets.
- Maintaining master tree inventory and conducting risk assessments.
- Preparing & reviewing reports, including those prepared for Council and Committee that impact the urban forest, and providing comments, recommendations, or specifications to other departments, outside agencies, or the general public.
- Designing, developing, and delivering ongoing public education programs.
The successful candidate will have post secondary education Forestry/Horticulture with 5 years of related experience, at least 3 in a supervisory capacity, and ISA Certified Arborist credentials. Due to the high volume of work and short timeframes, the successful candidate must be able to work under pressure. Excellent interpersonal skills, including conflict management, tact and diplomacy are also required as is the ability to work independently and strong judgement and decision-making skills. This position works a 40-hour work week. This role must be available to respond to occasional after-hours tree-related emergencies to ensure public safety and provide coverage for the Supervisor of Forestry during vacation & absence.
Salary Range: $68,333-$85,416 (under review)
Posting Close Date: February 27, 2018
How to Apply: To apply, please visit www.burlington.ca/careers and click on “View Jobs”. Please note that applications are only accepted online. If you require assistance, please contact Human Resources at 905-335-7602.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
An equal opportunity employer.