Title: Camp Counsellors
Work Period: Approx. June 25 to August 31, 2018
Location: Guelph Lake Nature Centre, Laurel Creek Nature Centre, Apps Mill Nature Centre as well as Rockwood Conservation Area
Pay Range: $14.00 per hour for over 18 years of age / $13.15 per hour for under 18 years of age
Summer Employment for Students
The Grand River Conservation Authority operates day camp programs at the Guelph Lake Nature Centre, Laurel Creek Nature Centre and Apps Mill Nature Centre as well as Rockwood Conservation Area Conservation Area.
Camp Counsellors are responsible for facilitating nature based activities for day campers ages 6-14. You will inspire kids to discover and learn about the natural world. You will encourage and support campers in their activities. You will be a role model for campers to look up to and will motivate campers to be kind and caring in their interactions. You will ensure that campers are safe at all times. Camp counsellors are responsible for providing care, program instruction, and leadership to a group of children attending the day camp programs.
- Provide for the care, safety, and well-being of a group of children during canoeing, stream studies and in certain locations swimming.
- Deliver various program activities for a group of campers.
- Provide ongoing feedback, verbal and written, to parents concerning their child’s camp experience.
- Provide supervision and program delivery for campers during regularly scheduled days.
- Assist with the pre-season set-up and end of season closing of the camp.
- Camp maintenance and other duties as assigned.
- Enrolled in a college or university program in recreation, outdoor education, or a related field is preferred. Senior high school students with experience will be considered.
- Ability to work independently as well as in groups.
- Experience working with children.
- Program and leadership skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Previous day or residential camp counselling experience or comparable experience working with children.
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification.
- Successful applicants will be required to submit a satisfactory criminal record check prior to commencing work.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to work evenings as required for the program.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter (referencing Camp Counsellor) by 4:00pm March 1, 2018 to: email@example.com
(Please send your resume and cover letter as an MS Word document).
We thank you for your interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.