Internal/External Job Posting
Regular Full Time Non-Union Position
Manager of Park Operations
The Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) has an international reputation for excellence in managing the natural resources of the largest inland river system in southern Ontario. Encompassing approximately 6,800 square kilometres, the Grand River watershed has a population of almost one million people in 39 municipalities and two First Nations. Designated as a Canadian Heritage River, the Grand River and its major tributaries boast many outstanding human heritage features and excellent recreational opportunities. The GRCA is committed to environmental protection by delivering services that ensure the well-being of the environment and its inhabitants.
The Manager of Park Operations is responsible for the overall management of the Conservation Area program which includes 11 active parks, Luther Marsh Wildlife Management Area and a large number of passive conservation lands. As a key member of the management team in the Operations Division, the Manager of Park Operations will work closely with operational and program staff to deliver high quality, outdoor recreational experiences to the GRCA’s clientele.
- Responsible for managing the operation, maintenance and development of the eleven (11) active GRCA parks and Luther Marsh Wildlife Management Area. In conjunction with the Manager of Property, provide operational support for numerous passive conservation areas located throughout the watershed.
- Provide guidance, direction, mentorship and support to the Park Superintendents, and other Conservation Area Operations staff, to ensure the goals and objectives of the GRCA are being met.
- Responsible for the preparation of annual capital and operational budget submissions. Approves expenditures, monitors costs and ensures budgetary control of the Conservation Area program. Provides budget estimates and forecast updates to Finance as required.
- Prepare management plans and business plans to guide the development and operation of the Conservation Areas. Identifies trends in outdoor recreation and implements strategies and programs designed to meet the demands of the outdoor recreational user.
- Participate on Management Committee contributing to the development of strategic plans, goals and objectives, policies and annual budgets.
- Prepare and present reports to the General Membership with respect to conservation area programs and operations.
- Oversee the development of department policies, standard operating procedures and customer service standards.
- In conjunction with the Manager of Communications coordinate an effective marketing strategy for the Conservation Areas.
- Establish strong working relationships and open collaboration with the management team, and other divisions and departments within the GRCA.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with key staff in municipal and provincial government, associations, service clubs and special interest groups. Develop partnerships and other relationships which will provide benefits to the GRCA and will enhance the public’s understanding of GRCA’s roles and responsibilities within the watershed.
- Ensure compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and ensure applicable legislation, regulations, GRCA policies and procedures are followed and enforced.
- University degree in a field related to parks & recreation, outdoor recreation, tourism, business administration, or equivalent post-secondary education.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in outdoor recreation with at least 6 years of relevant management experience preferably in park operations.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation and administration of budgets.
- Excellent written communication skills with demonstrated ability to prepare correspondence, technical reports, financial analyses, board reports and other documents.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the demonstrated ability to effectively present information to boards, councils or committees and to interact with the general public.
- Proficient computer skills including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets and PowerPoint. A working knowledge of park reservation systems is beneficial.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation including, but not limited to, the Conservation Authorities Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Provincial Offenses Act and other applicable legislation.
- Demonstrated organizational, leadership and team-building skills.
- Effective problem-solving, collaboration, conflict resolution and negotiation skills with demonstrated experience at a senior level.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel throughout the watershed.
The salary range for this position is Job Level L $101,233 to $123,155 - annual salary
GRCA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision care, life and disability insurance, membership in the OMERS pension plan and a pass which entitles you to free entry into all conservation areas.
Approximate Start Date: August 2017
To Apply: Please send a resume and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in MS Word or PDF format and quote “Manager of Park Operations” in the subject line.
Deadline for Applications: 4:00pm Thursday July 13, 2017
We thank you for your interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.