April 21, 2017
PARKS LEAD HAND
The Parks Lead Hand assists the Parks Supervisor with all aspects of horticulture, as well as the management, operation, and maintenance of municipally owned properties, including cemeteries, under the jurisdiction of the Parks Division of the Operations Department.
The Parks Lead Hand is responsible for assisting with all phases of year round horticultural operations including floral displays, landscaping, irrigation systems, and identification, diagnosis and treatment of pests and diseases. In addition, the Parks Lead Hand is required to assist with all phases of parks operations including waste collection, washroom maintenance, special events, and winter control operations. In addition to assuming the role of the Parks Supervisor in his/her absence, the management and supervision of staff on weekends, holidays, and during the week is required. The Parks Lead Hand is also responsible for assisting with performance evaluations, staff training, coaching and counselling, health and safety, and participating in the hiring process. Reporting to the Supervisor of Parks, this position provides assistance with fleet and equipment maintenance and workplace inspections.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Equivalent to or completion of a three-year community college program in horticulture or other closely related subject.
- The willingness to obtain a Landscape Exterminator pesticide license.
- Minimum of three years progressive experience including related courses and certifications as required.
- A full valid driver’s license.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- The ability to multitask and anticipate deadlines.
- Good written and verbal skills.
- The ability to communicate ideas well and write reports.
- Strong leadership skills and experience supervising a team.
- Proven analytical ability, and solutions oriented.
- Strong customer service skills.
The Salary Range for this position is $58,282 - $70,782, depending on experience,
in addition to a comprehensive pension and benefit package.
The Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, references and any other supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, May 5, 2017.
The successful applicant will be required to submit a current Driver’s Abstract and a Police Background Check.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.