CITY OF ORILLIA
PARKS, RECREATION AND CULTURE DEPARTMENT
SUPERVISOR OF PARKS
Reporting to the Manager of Parks, the City of Orillia has an opening for a full-time position of Supervisor of Parks in the Parks, Recreation and Culture Department.
- Responsible for effectively organizing and supervising activities of the Parks division within the Parks, Recreation and Culture Department for the maintenance of City parks, park structures, trail and walkway systems, and related infrastructure.
- Supervise and manage staff by monitoring and setting performance standards through annual performance evaluations, training, creating work schedules, assigning and approving overtime, etc.
- Assist in the establishment of departmental goals, objectives, plans, policies and budgets; develop, recommend and administer procedures, programs, systems and standards.
- Administer the division’s annual operating and capital budgets; monitor and control expenditures.
- Maintain effective and cooperative liaison, and exchange information with other staff, municipalities, government agencies, other organizations and members of the public; respond to inquiries from Members of Council, the public, developers, user groups, contractors and all levels of City staff.
- Ensure due diligence is carried out in the division in all areas of risk management and safety training; report and follow-up on all incidents, accidents, property damage and theft and ensure work practices conform to relevant policies, procedures and legislation.
- Work closely with contractors on various parks and trails projects.
- Prepare reports to Council as required.
- A College diploma or degree in Horticulture, Arboriculture, Turf Management or related field.
- Previous experience and/or educational certification in Park Landscaping, Playground Equipment and Structures, and park/outdoor sports facility maintenance an asset.
- Minimum three years’ working experience in a Municipal Parks environment, including supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
- Experience in project management and over-seeing the implementation of capital projects an asset.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and implement specific projects and programs.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory, judgment, initiative, written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail and the internet.
- Possess a valid class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s licence, with an acceptable driver’s abstract. A reliable vehicle is required for corporate use.
The salary range for this position is Category 6, $71,115 to $86,442 pursuant to the Salary schedule for Exempt employees, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume (MS Word or PDF Format) in confidence to Lori Bolton by March 17, 2017 at noon.
Lori Bolton, CHRL, Director of Human Resources,
City of Orillia,
50 Andrew Street South, Suite 300,
Orillia, ON L3V 7T5
Fax: (705) 325-5904 Email: email@example.com
The City of Orillia is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Please advise the City of Orillia Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Freedom of Information Coordinator, 50 Andrew St. S., Suite 300, Orillia ON L3V 7T5.