CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Full Time Non-Unionized opportunity in the Transportation Services, Parks & Forestry Operations Department for an experienced and motivated individual
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Reporting to the Superintendent for the operation and project execution city wide; including supervision of assigned staff. Ensures Corporate and Occupational Health and Safety provisions are met and monitors performance expectations for each direct report and encourages direct reports to do the same for their employee/s. Ensures legal compliance with expected standards. Engages and enhances capability of staff to be better equipped and prepared when handling daily challenges. Provides financial sustainability by seeking opportunities to continually improve work processes and eliminating non value added work. Responsible for maintaining the City’s park/open space/sports fields, playgrounds (as per C.S.A. standards), courts, facilities and cemeteries to City Standards. Additional responsibilities include sidewalk and other snow removal operations at facilities, parking lots, and bus shelters, Integrated Pest Management program, cultural practices, turf maintenance and tree and horticultural assets maintenance. Supervises routine and ad hoc inspections of parks, boulevards; coordinates and schedules staff and equipment for special events; supervises maintenance of departmental equipment, responds to and/or addresses inquiries/concerns from the public, contractor’s staff and liaises with same as required.
Qualifications and experience:
- Two (2) Years Community College Diploma in Civil Engineering or suitable equivalent.
- Certified Road Supervisor from the Association of Ontario Roads Superintendents or Certificate in Sports Turf Management/Horticulture and Playground safety standards.
- Current holder of Ministry of Environment Landscape license and/or Water - (Mosquito/Biting Fly), Ministry of Environment Landscape Pesticide Licenses, knowledge of current weed spraying regulations and knowledge of current Integrated Pesticide Management (IPM) practices.
- Minimum three (3) years progressively more responsible municipal road experience.
- Minimum two (2) years supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
- “Competent worker” as defined under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Knowledgeable in municipal roads and/or parks maintenance and operational processes.
- Solid interpersonal skills, problem solving and written/oral communication skills.
- Effective customer service and multi-tasking skills.
- Knowledge of, or demonstrated ability in, the City’s core competencies and relevant functional competencies.
- Proficient computer skills and working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email.
- Valid Ontario ‘Class G’ driver’s license in good standing, including willingness to obtain a Class ‘DZ” license.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours as noted below.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please click here
to apply online by Thursday, March 16, 2017
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001,c.25) and will be used to determine qualifications for employment with The Corporation of the City of Vaughan. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer, 2141 Major Mackenzie Drive, Vaughan, ON, L6A 1T1, (905) 832-8585.