City of Stratford
Community Services/Parks & Forestry
Position: Supervisor of Parks & Forestry
Job Posting: 11-2017
Reporting to: Manager of Parks, Forestry & Cemetery
Annual Salary: $72,449 - $84,756.
Reporting to the Manager of Parks, Forestry & Cemetery. Responsible for the effective and efficient supervision of all activities and staff of the Parks & Forestry Division.
- Plan and supervise the day-to-day work and operations including staffing performance management, labour relations, work assignments, inspections, project management and all health and safety related activities and documentation.
- Responds to inquiries relating to Parks & Forestry Services delivery including tree inspections.
- Assist Manager with training, scheduling, supervision and delegation of work to employees and contractors in a variety of activities.
- Ensure work of staff and contractors is performed safely, effectively and efficiently in accordance with City or departmental standards, industry best practice, specifications, policies, procedures and legislated requirements. Develop and implement standard operating procedures and guidelines where required.
- Assist Manager in the development, operation and ongoing maintenance of parks and playgrounds, sport fields, urban forestry, natural areas, horticulture, and municipal grounds.
- Communicates significant work and service disruptions to Manager.
- Provides information to Manager for the development of financial and operational reports.
- Assist with the development of Capital and Operating budgets.
- Comply with all workplace Health and Safety Policies and Procedures including but not limited to: attend and participate in all H&S training and education activities; identify and report all H&S risks, accidents, incidents, injuries and damage and ensure all activities are carried out in a safe manner including the proper use of all assigned personal protective equipment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Community College Diploma (3 year) in Horticulture, or Parks Management, or Landscape Design Construction (or related field with progressively responsible experience)
- Minimum 1 – 3 years related professional experience preferably in a municipal environment.
- ISA Certified Arborist
- Ministry of Environment Pesticide License (s)
- Demonstrated leadership skills acquired through progressive experience supervising staff or leading work teams, preferably in a municipal unionized environment.
- Experience procuring and managing contracted services to ensure compliance with specifications, regulations and policies.
- Proven knowledge of the OHSA, the HTA and the Ontario Traffic Manual’s Book 7 for temporary conditions, Pesticides Act and other applicable legislation.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and excellent customer service skills.
How to Apply:
• Please submit a resume, clearly outlining your qualifications and experience, and quoting the job posting number.
Applications can be submitted by email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit duplicates.
If applying by email, please include the Job Posting Number in the message subject line. Attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Accommodations are available for people with disabilities for all aspects of the recruitment process. Applicants should make their needs known in advance.
Closing Date for Applications: Friday March 10, 2017 at 4:30pm
While we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected in response to this advertisement is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Stratford. Please direct inquiries to the Human Resources Department at 519-271-0250 x 274.