Seasonal Turf Operator (6 months)
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Applications are being accepted for the temporary positions of Seasonal Turf Operator within Parks and Recreation. Reporting to the Supervisor, Turf and Sport Fields, the successful candidate will perform duties related, but not limited to, turf maintenance, parks maintenance and related services within the City’s parks in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, sound turf management principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hour of Work:
Five (5) consecutive eight (8) hour days, Monday to Friday scheduled between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. The anticipated start date will be Spring 2017.
- Perform duties related to turf maintenance, parks maintenance and related services within the City’s parks while working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Perform and direct grass cutting as per assigned schedules and report any incomplete work, time allowances and crew performance issues to the Lead-hand.
- Provide thorough instruction and safety guidance to crew.
- Pick up debris and litter from parks, roadside, creeks, parking lots, etc.
- Operate various types of park maintenance equipment and vehicles such as large mowers, pickup truck with trailer, rototiller, blowers, shovels, rakes, string trimmer, chainsaw, chipper, lawnmowers, power washers and small equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition and perform daily circle checks and report defects and, if necessary, small repairs in a prescribed manner.
- Lead and instruct all support staff in the safe and efficient use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment, and maintenance practices.
- Comply with requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, The Highway Traffic Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Remove and/or flag obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment, and duly note and report such conditions to a Lead hand or Supervisor.
- Maintain daily written records and timesheets of work related activities.
- Report on variances in daily work plans.
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, damage and hazardous conditions.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and 12 months experience performing parks maintenance activities and operating related turf maintenance equipment in a relevant setting. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Proven experience and knowledge relevant to park maintenance and landscape maintenance activities.
- Thorough knowledge of all maintenance aspects of relevant turf equipment.
- Experience leading a crew would be an asset.
- Demonstrated customer service and problem solving skills.
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting within a variety of duties.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimal supervision, as well, work as part of a team, and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly.
- Must possess effective communication skills; able to deal with the public in a cordial manner.
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job including lifting, kneeling and shovelling and be able to actively participate in daily activities, work within live traffic conditions and in all weather conditions.
- Must obtain First Aid and CPR C certification prior to start date.
- Must possess an understanding of the OTM Book 7 for Temporary Conditions, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
Rate of pay:
$25.63 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by January 30, 2017 and submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.