The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Arborist with the Parks and Recreation Department. Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry, the successful candidate will focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference. The City of Guelph has ambitious urban forestry goals, as set out in its Urban Forest Management Plan and its Official Plan.
Hours of Work:
8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday. Standby may be a requirement of this position.
- Perform duties in the development and maintenance of the City of Guelph’s Urban Forest as part of a team utilizing specialized equipment including aerial bucket trucks, chippers, chain saws, stump-grinder, and standard tree climbing equipment where required in a safe and efficient manner.
- Through a work order-based system, conduct assigned tree care including planting, pruning, removal, cabling, and other maintenance activities, according to current policies and procedures and generally accepted arboricultural practices.
- As requested, assist with hydro line clearing and grid pruning projects and woodland tree maintenance and care, including diagnosing tree health, maintenance requirements, and risk assessments.
- Comply with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Complete daily activity time sheets.
- Report on variances in daily work plans.
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties and damage.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above normally acquired through a 2 year post-secondary diploma in Urban Forestry/Arboriculture and 1 – 2 years hands-on experience in tree climbing, trimming, removal, bracing, chipping, stumping and planting. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Certified Arborist designation from Province of Ontario or International Society of Arboriculture is required.
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Thorough knowledge in arboriculture including tree species identification and arboricultural requirements, insect and disease identification and plant health care requirements.
- Ability to safely operate aerial bucket truck and climb trees using approved equipment and methods while working at various heights.
- Knowledgeable in currently accepted industry practices including advanced limb removal and rigging techniques.
- Must be able to perform demanding physical labour and be able to work outside in all kinds of weather.
- Must be a reliable self-starter and able to make decisions and function with minimum supervision.
- Must be a team player with good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
$29.66 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday November 13, 2016. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.