We have an exciting Full Time Non Unionized opportunity in the Transportation, Parks & Forestry Operations Department for an experienced and motivated individual
SUPERVISOR, HORTICULTURE OPERATIONS FILE #16-2845-AM
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Reporting to the Manager, Forestry and Horticulture, responsible for the coordination, supervision and administration of horticulture maintenance functions city wide. The Supervisor Horticulture Operations is responsible for promoting effective, efficient delivery of services to the public, to develop and implement standard operating procedures and to implement the City’s Beautification Strategy. The Supervisor Horticulture Operations is an active and key member of the operations Department management team; providing back-up support to other Supervisors; leading staff, and championing the corporate and department vision, mission and goals.
Qualifications and experience:
- Community College Diploma in Landscape Technology, Horticulture, or suitable equivalent.
- Current holder of Ministry of Environment Landscape license and/or Water - (Mosquito/Biting Fly), Ministry of Environment Landscape Pesticide Licenses, knowledge of current weed spraying regulations and knowledge of current Integrated Pesticide Management (IPM) practises.
- Minimum of five (5) years progressively more responsible municipal park maintenance experience, including a minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience preferably in a unionized environment.
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and electronic purchasing computer applications.
- Availability to work flexible hours including afternoon and evening shifts and weekends, and share “on call” responsibilities on a rotating basis with other Park’s Supervisors.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act as it applies to Parks maintenance operations.
- Good interpersonal, customer service, communication, problem solving, team building, multi-tasking and leadership skills.
- Valid Class “G” Driver’s License.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please forward your resume in MS Word or PDF only, quoting File 16-2845-AM in the subject line by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, October 31, 2016 to:
Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer
City of Vaughan
2141 Major Mackenzie Drive
Vaughan, ON L6A 1T1
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001,c.25) and will be used to determine qualifications for employment with The Corporation of the City of Vaughan. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer, 2141 Major Mackenzie Drive, Vaughan, ON, L6A 1T1, (905) 832-8585.