CITY OF ORILLIA
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
TRADE - CITY GARDENER
The Corporation of the City of Orillia has an opening for a full-time position of Trade – City Gardener in the Public Works Department.
- Operate Municipal greenhouses for plant propagation and environmental purposes, proper soil mixtures, insect control, climate control, plant arrangements and educating user groups.
- Provide, maintain, and monitor all horticultural beds in the parks system and locations within the BIA and MTO areas by designing, planting, fertilizing, watering and record keeping.
- Perform general clean-up and remediation of gardens including pest control measures.
- Ensure that all irrigation systems and horticultural equipment and tools are maintained and in a safe working environment/manner.
- Supervise seasonal staff in both horticulture practices and parks maintenance operations.
- Liaise with Special Event Coordinators, the Port of Orillia, permit holders, volunteers, community members and various departmental staff.
- Administrative duties relating to the greenhouse and horticulture operations as well as overseeing the operating budget.
- Required for on-call duties.
- A College or University diploma in Horticulture or related field with a Minimum of three years’ experience in urban horticultural practices including but not limited to: plant propagation, irrigation systems, growing and planting, bed design, pruning and general health care of plants and shrubs.
- Certified Horticulturist in good standing together with a Valid Land Exterminators License and Structural Exterminators License from the Ontario Ministry of Environment.
- Must be familiar with all operational aspects of greenhouses such as heating systems, ventilation, fertilizer injectors, pesticide application, natural predatory insects, cultural practices for disease and pest control.
- Familiarity with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Excellent communication, judgment, initiative and problem solving skills, as well as the ability to effectively work independently or in a team setting.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite including Word, Excel and Email.
- Must possess a valid class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
- An acceptable Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check is required for this position.
Compensation for this position is $25.81 to $27.85 per hour pursuant to the wage schedule for IBEW – Parks, Recreation and Culture employees, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume (in MS Word or PDF Format) in confidence by September 9, 2016 at noon to:Lori Bolton, CHRL,
Director of Human Resources,
City of Orillia,
50 Andrew Street South, Suite 300,
Orillia, ON L3V 7T5
Fax: (705) 325-5904 Email: email@example.com
We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
The City of Orillia is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Please advise the City of Orillia Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Freedom of Information Coordinator, 50 Andrew St. S., Suite 300, Orillia ON L3V 7T5 or call 705-325-1311.