Landscape Crew Lead
The Learning Enrichment Foundation - Toronto, ON
Who are we?
The Learning Enrichment Foundation has been serving the former city of York in northwest Toronto for more than 30 years. Since 1978, we have developed from a youth theatre project into one of the leading community economic development organizations in Toronto, with 300 employees serving more than 10,000 people every year.We pride ourselves in our range of programming, driven by the needs of our community. We offer employment services, skills training, language training, childcare services and supports for children and families, newcomer services, youth programs and community enterprises programs.
Our latest venture, greenLEF Landscaping is seeking a Crew Lead for the 2016 Landscaping season.
You are ideal for this role, if you are able to guide and lead by example, ready to share your skills, are a team player and cost conscious. If you are eager to impact lives, and be a mentor to others while growing together within a fun, diverse organization where exceeding expectations are a part of our every day culture, then apply now.
Job Title: Crew Lead
Job Type: Seasonal - April to November, 2016
- Organizes and directs the day-to-day activities of the crews under the incumbent’s jurisdiction.
- Performs tasks required to fulfill contract specifications, including landscaping, hardscaping and maintenance.
- Operates various types of motor vehicles, including tractors and mechanized grounds maintenance, grass cutting, or other specialized equipment.
- Assigns work, establishes maintenance schedules to meet prescribed standards, instructs and trains staff in all aspects of maintenance and provides feedback on performance.
- Requisitions supplies and maintains records of equipment inventory and other assets.
- Ensures that the work location, equipment and supplies meet health and safety standards and completes all requisite inspections.
- Travels to various work locations.
- Under some circumstances may be required to work weekends or extra hours to complete tasks within timelines.
- Ensures that appropriate action is taken to deal with incidents, problems and emergencies in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Communicates and ensures good customer service to members of the public and other staff.
- Completes written reports, daily logbook and forms as required, including tasks completed, staff issues, accident/incident reports, time sheets and facility use.
- Performs other related work as assigned by the Manager.
- A diploma or certificate in horticulture and landscape field would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 1-2 years experience in a supervisory role.
- Knowledge of planting and hardscape techniques as well as general knowledge of horticulture, plant needs including proper pruning techniques and turf care.
- Actively engage in training/coaching employees to ensure a safe, energetic, engaged, and skilled workforce.
- Working knowledge and experience with woodworking projects such as fence and decks and have a general understanding and working experience in hardscaping projects such as laying pavers and grading.
- Working knowledge of operation and maintenance, including relevant equipment, materials and preventative maintenance programs, having regard to the work location.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in the safe and efficient operation of all vehicles, equipment, specialized attachments and materials related to the duties of this position.
- Ability to use hand tools, mechanical equipment and to make minor mechanical repairs associated with maintenance.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare accurate and concise operation reports and ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Must have current knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties. Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class “G” Driver’s License
- Current Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- Landscaping and horticulture: 1 year
Required license or certification:
$20 - $25 per hour - based on experience.
Email a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or apply online at Indeed.ca (you will be redirected to the Indeed.ca website).
We thank all applicants however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The Learning Enrichment Foundation is committed to providing accessible service and employment to all individuals (the public and the staff) and to treat them with respect and dignity. We are committed to ensure that persons with disabilities have the same opportunities to access employment and benefit from our services in the same place and in a similar way as others, and to the removal of any barrier that may impede full accessibility for people with disabilities. LEF is committed to complying with AODA. If you require accommodations, please contact us at: 416-760-2561