The City of
The City of Barrie is committed to providing excellence in municipal services for the 140,000+ citizens of this vibrant and prosperous community, one of the fastest growing and most beautiful lakefront cities in Ontario.
NOTICE OF VACANCY
Roads, Parks and Fleet Department
Under the general guidance and direction of the Horticulture Foreperson, the Gardener position is responsible for the maintenance of all the annual and perennial plants in the City of Barrie. Specifically, this position performs and oversees staff in the planting, pruning, cultivating, watering and fertilizing of flower beds located in the City’s parks, downtown areas, reverse lot frontages and right of ways. Additionally, this position performs greenhouse maintenance duties in accordance with seasonal requirements. Overall, this position plays an integral role in the upkeep of the City’s parks and other outdoor areas by carrying out horticultural activities and maintaining the City’s gardens.
Major Responsibilities Include:
Grounds and Equipment Maintenance
- Performs horticultural duties to maintain gardens, which includes:
- monitoring and evaluating perennials, annuals and shrubs;
- undertaking biological control of pests and diseases;
- monitoring plants for drought and watering plants;
- setting up fertilizer programs and fertilizing plants;
- transplanting seedlings;
- pruning shrubs and perennials;
- mulching flower beds;
- performing general turf maintenance tasks;
- completing irrigation and greenhouse repairs;
- completing interior plantscape maintenance and seasonal display set ups;
- completing greenhouse plant propagation and plant cultural maintenance duties;
- performing tool maintenance tasks and maintaining inventory; and
- removing snow, when required.
- Ensures that all machinery and equipment are maintained and in safe working condition, which includes:
- performing daily circle checks;
- greasing machinery;
- checking fluids;
- performing minor repairs;
- cleaning filters; and
- washing equipment.
- Picks up and transports supplies and/or plant materials to and from various City locations.
- Monitors weather conditions and plans gardening activities accordingly.
- Completes and maintains service requests, log sheets and related records.
- Assists with special event set up and take down.
- Enters data into CMMS System.
- Orders irrigation parts and completes purchasing card transactions online.
- Acts in the absence of the Horticulture Foreperson, when required.
- Assists with safety training of and provides guidance and direction to General Maintenance Employee 1, General Maintenance Employee 2 and Student positions.
- Responds to and/or redirects inquiries, questions and complaints from City employees and the general public regarding horticulture related matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned or as required in accordance with branch, departmental, divisional and/or corporate objectives.
Applicants must have:
- Two (2) year College Diploma in Horticulture or related discipline. A Three (3) year College Diploma in Horticulture or related discipline is preferred.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence in good standing. A Valid Ontario Class “D” Driver’s Licence with a “Z” endorsement in good standing is preferred.
- Landscape Exterminator Licence from the Ontario Ministry of Environment is preferred.
- Greenhouse/Interior Plant Exterminator Licence from the Ontario Ministry of Environment is preferred.
- Two (2) years of horticultural experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities. Three (3) years of horticultural and/or greenhouse experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities is preferred.
- General knowledge of greenhouse operations including propagation and growing techniques (thorough knowledge is preferred).
- Working knowledge of parks and horticulture and irrigation operating systems (thorough knowledge is preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to work in a physically demanding environment, including the ability to lift up to 25 kg.
Equivalency Code: C
The 2016 pay range is $57,200 to $68,515.20 per year ($27.50/hr to $32.94/hr). The hours of work will be 40 hours/week.
Should you not meet the key educational qualifications for this position but have extensive directly related work experience, please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. For further information, please visit our website at www.barrie.ca/JobOpp.
Please submit your resume electronically by quoting file #O-16-12 Gardener (MS Word format only; quote file number in subject line), by Wednesday, May 11, 2016 to:
Human Resources Department
City of Barrie
P.O. Box 400
Barrie, Ontario L4M 4T5
The Corporation is seeking a friendly, personable, dedicated, enterprising and results-oriented leader. The City of Barrie provides a dynamic operating environment and working conditions. We thank all applicants and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, S.O. 2001, c.25 and will be used to determine employment eligibility. Questions regarding collection should be directed to the Human Resources Department at 705-739-4202.