Seasonal Sports Field Operator
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Applications are being accepted for the temporary position of Seasonal Sports Field Operator within Parks and Recreation. Reporting to the Supervisor, Turf and Sport Fields, the successful candidate will be responsible to assist with the daily maintenance of sports turf and facilities, perform functions in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, sound construction principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week. This position will be required to work shifts in order to accommodate special or seasonal events but shall not be scheduled for more than five (5) days per week, eight (8) hours per day. Shifts may be scheduled as day, afternoon or night shifts. The anticipated duration of this position would be April to October.
- Organize labour, tools and resources required to carry out assigned tasks; Operate vehicles and equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Inform the Lead hand of workplace requirements and adjust maintenance schedules to efficiently perform fertilizer applications and turf renovations, including aeration, over seeding and topdressing, and sodding, in accordance with current cultural practices
- Provide appropriate instruction to staff to ensure the safe and effective operation of grooming equipment
- Demonstrate knowledge of all official sports field dimensions for baseball diamonds, soccer pitches, football fields etc., as well as proper lining and grooming procedures and requirements for safe playable surfaces and provide instruction to staff, as required
- Ensure all surfaces are safe for daily use, and report unsafe conditions to the Lead hand
- Maintain and clean outdoor sports facilities including players’ benches, backstops, fence lines and under bleachers while being attentive of scheduled tournaments and fulfill requirements for set-up. Carry out assigned tasks with minimal disruption to play
- Install and maintain home plates, pitching points, etc. and layout sports fields in accordance with official dimensions. Assist with installation, maintenance and removal of tennis nets and posts; monitor and clean tennis surfaces as required
- Lead part-time staff and instruct all support staff in the safe and efficient use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment, and maintenance practices
- Maintain accurate records of daily tasks and report sports field activities and deficiencies to the Lead hand
- Apply pesticides as directed; make recommendations regarding necessary cultural and spray programs
- Perform various duties relating to winter control including operating relevant machinery, manual snow and ice clearing and manual salting and sanding as needed
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in Turf Management, Horticulture and/or Agriculture or closely related field and 1 – 2 years related experience in sports field maintenance including operating the above-noted equipment. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a current Landscape Exterminator class applicators license from the Ministry of the Environment
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge and experience in sports field maintenance practices, including dimensions, proper lining and grooming procedures and requirements for safe playable surfaces.
- Thorough knowledge of all maintenance aspects of relevant equipment, including the attachments.
- Completion of the University of Guelph’s Turf Manager’s Short Course would be an asset.
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimal supervision, as well, work as part of a team, and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills; able to deal with the public in a cordial manner
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job including lifting, kneeling and shoveling and be able to actively participate in daily activities, work within live traffic conditions and in all types of weather conditions.
- Must possess an understanding of the MTO’s Book 7 for Temporary Conditions, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
Rate of Pay:
$26.61 per hour (2015 rates)
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday March 23, 2016. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on:
and click on the “Apply for This Job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.