Seasonal Forestry Operator (temporary - up to 6 months)
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Applications are being accepted for the temporary positions of Seasonal Forestry Operator within Parks and Recreation. Reporting to the Supervisor, Forestry, the successful candidate will perform duties related, but not limited to, chipper operation, tree planting and forestry maintenance and related services within the City’s parks in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, sound construction principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week Monday to Friday 7 am to 3 pm. The anticipated duration of this position would be April to October.
- Perform duties related to forestry stump removals, tree planting and tree maintenance and related services within the City’s parks while working outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Installation of wire basket tree stock and maintenance watering, within the City Parks and Right-of-Way
- Perform Operator support to aerial forestry crews, brushing and chipping.
- Operate various types of maintenance equipment and vehicles such as pickup truck ,single axle dump with trailer, stump grinder, shovels, rakes, chainsaw, chipper, agricultural tractors, front-end loaders, Bob cat skid steer , and small equipment including auxiliary attachments as required, in a safe and efficient manner
- Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition, and perform daily circle checks and report defects and, if necessary, small repairs in a prescribed manner
- Lead part-time staff and instruct all support staff in the safe and efficient use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment, and maintenance practices
- Comply with requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, The Highway Traffic Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures
- Remove and/or flag obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment, and duly note and report such conditions to a Lead hand or Supervisor
- Maintain daily written records of work related activities
- Complete daily activity time sheets; Report on variances in daily work plans
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, damage and hazardous conditions
- Actively participate in a team environment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and a post-secondary program in Forestry / Horticulture with 6 – 12 months experience performing tree maintenance activities and operating related forestry equipment in a relevant setting. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Proven experience and knowledge relevant to tree installation / tree maintenance and landscape maintenance/construction activities.
- Thorough knowledge of all maintenance aspects of relevant equipment, including the attachments
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimal supervision, as well, work as part of a team, and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills; ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job including lifting, kneeling and shoveling and be able to actively participate in daily activities, work within live traffic conditions and in all types of weather conditions
- Must possess an understanding of the OTM’s Book 7 for Temporary Conditions, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation
Rate of Pay:
$26.61 per hour (2015 rates)
How to Apply:Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday March 23, 2016. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on:
and click on the “Apply for This Job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.