Internal/External Job Posting
Temporary Full Time Bargaining Unit Position
Park Operations Coordinator
The Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) has an international reputation for excellence in managing the natural resources of the largest inland river system in southern Ontario. Encompassing approximately 6,800 square kilometres, the Grand River watershed has a population of almost one million people in 39 municipalities and two First Nations. Designated as a Canadian Heritage River, the Grand River and its major tributaries boast many outstanding human heritage features and excellent recreational opportunities. The GRCA is committed to environmental protection by delivering services that ensure the well-being of the environment and its inhabitants.
Reporting to the Manager of Conservation Area Operations, the Park Operations Coordinator provides central technical support for day to day conservation area operations and provides professional expertise in the areas of park planning, marketing, business analysis, procurement, and special projects to support park operations.
- Administers the park reservation system including the day to day performance and operation of the system, acts as the principal liaison with the software provider, processes customer complaints, updates camping and fee data and coordinates functionality changes with the service provider.
- Technical writing including reports to the General Membership, area management plans, business plans, justification studies and feasibility studies.
- Collects data and prepares analysis related to park operations including visitor demographics, user surveys, revenue generation, attendance statistics and input to the preparation of capital plans.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to the General Membership, internal and external committees and the general public. Coordinates public consultation sessions related to area management plans and special projects.
- In consultation with the Manager of Conservation Area Operations, develops and coordinates a strategy for the marketing and promotion of Conservation Areas including event planning, the preparation of brochures, signage, attendance at trade shows and advertising.
- Researches, compiles and writes procurement documents including quotations, requests for proposals and tenders and coordinates the procurement process. In particular, responsible for coordinating the tender for the supply of firewood and delivery to the various conservation areas.
- Assists in the preparation of annual departmental budgets.
- Prepares documentation relating to Conservation Area operations e.g. security reports, health and safety procedures, procedural guidelines, inspection record sheets, etc.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable legislation with special emphasis on health and safety.
- Completes special projects at the direction of the Manager of Conservation Area Operations.
- University degree in parks and recreation, outdoor recreation, resource management, environmental studies, business administration or equivalent.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ relevant experience in park planning, resource management or outdoor recreation. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in campground operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant legislation including, but not limited to, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and related regulations, the Conservation Authorities Act, and the Environmental Assessment Act.
- Demonstrated analytical, research and report writing skills are essential.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and AutoCAD is required. A functional knowledge of GPS survey technology, database and GIS web-based applications would be beneficial.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff, consultants, and contractors.
- Valid G driver’s license and ability to travel to various locations within the Grand River watershed.
The pay range for this position is Job Level 6 $26.89 to $33.62 and hours of work are 35 per week
Approximate Start Date: May 2016
Term of Employment: Fifteen Months
Please send a resume and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
in MS Word or PDF format and quote “Park Operations Coordinator” in the subject line.
Deadline for Applications: 4:00pm Monday March 21, 2016
We thank you for your interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.