Landscape Architect (Job # 031)
Cambridge is a thriving city located in Canada's Technology Triangle, a rich industrial heartland of southern Ontario. We are strategically located astride highway 401, and minutes from major metropolitan cities. Our quality of life makes Cambridge a fine place to call home for over 129,000 citizens. Cambridge offers historic, small-town charm with diverse recreational facilities, trails and parkland, a wide range of arts, culture and theatre events and attractions throughout the year and a strong future of continued cultural, commercial and industrial growth and development. Our distinctive 19th century architecture offers a beautiful backdrop for shopping, dining & colourful festivals.
There is an opening for the above position within the Community Services Department available April 1, 2016. Reporting to the Manager of Community Services Operations, this position is responsible for the following duties:
- Designs, from concept to completion, capital development projects, trails, sports fields, cemeteries, and facilities city-wide.
- Conducts site inventory and analysis, and needs assessments.
- Prepares concept drawings and working drawings, including layout, grading and planting plans.
- Supervises the work of consultants, contractors and internal resources; works with appropriate groups, committees, and approval authorities; conducts public consultation; prepares project budgets, and schedules; and, conducts construction site inspections and prepares reports.
- Prepares cost estimates; monitors costs/budget and report on the status of the budget throughout projects; and, processes purchase orders, progress payment, statutory holdbacks, etc.
- Prepares Requests for Proposals, quotations, tenders, including specifications. Ensures applicable legislation is complied with (eg. Construction Lien Act, CCDC documents).
- Conducts project research, as needed.
- Reviews Committee of Adjustment, Site Plan, Subdivision applications and provides feedback on behalf of the Community Services Department.
- Acts as the staff representative on the Cambridge Trails Advisory Committee, prepares monthly agenda, reviews minutes, attends meetings, and updates the Committee on the progress of various projects and other trail related matters.
- Acts as a consultative advisor for outdoor facility related issues such as life/safety issues, repair/maintenance policies and planning.
Possession of a 4 year Undergraduate Degree in Landscape Architecture, or equivalent, along with a full membership with Seal in the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA). Five years’ related work experience including landscape design and construction, contract administration, and supervising consultants and contractors. Green Roof Construction training and knowledge of other Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) construction principles is required. Ability to use AutoCAD Lt 2012, MS Office, Photoshop, GIS, CMiC, Amanda, and FMW Web.
The annual salary range is $76,995 to $81,832 per annum and a full benefit program is provided. Regular hours of work are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday inclusive (35 hours per week).
Personal information in relation to the recruitment and hiring process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. This information will be used to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only. If you have any questions about this collection of personal information, you can contact the Freedom of Information and Privacy Co-ordinator, Clerks Division, at 519-740-4680, extension 4583.