The City of Brampton is the 9th largest city in Canada and the third-largest in the Greater Toronto Area. Our population is among the most diverse and multicultural in Canada, representing people from more than 175 distinct ethnic backgrounds who speak more than 70 different languages.
With a variety of services and programs provided to the residents of Brampton, our employment opportunities are challenging, diverse and rewarding. As an employer, the City of Brampton offers a competitive benefits plan, lucrative pension plan, education and training programs, tuition reimbursement, advancement opportunities, open and communicative management style and the opportunity to make a difference in the community.
PARKSKEEPER IV – DISTRICT (2)
- Maintains turf in parks, boulevards, sports fields, etc. Mows/cuts, fertilizes, aerates, seeds, and applies top dressing. Performs grading with front-end loader, rake, and shovel. Repairs turf, removing damaged sod and laying new sod. Plants flowers, prunes trees, and performs limited gardening under gardener direction.
- Spray non-selective herbicides under the direction of licensed personnel at playgrounds, sports fields, warning tracks, bleachers and benches and flower and shrub beds.
- Directs and assigns day-to-day activities to temporary and part-time staff, instructs in the use of proper safety equipment.
- Maintain all cyclical operations pertaining to City irrigation systems.
- Performs scheduled maintenance of playground surfaces and routine maintenance such as painting and removal of litter, debris and graffiti. Checks for safety hazards and corrects or advises Inspectors as needed.
- Assists Inspectors with removal of playground structures.
- Operates front-end loader, 10’ self propelled mowers, water truck, tractors with attachments, trucks, etc., to perform functions; checks equipment daily and performs routine maintenance/minor repairs. Reports faulty equipment to Supervisor.
- Performs winter maintenance functions: ploughs and removes snow in parking lots, walkways, ice rinks, ponds, etc. (e.g. shovels, operates 5-ton dump truck, bombardier, etc.) Sands parking lots, walkways, underpasses, etc.
- Installs, maintains and repairs fences, snow fences, park benches, signs, catch basins, walkways (i.e. cold patches/asphalts potholes in parks).
- Waters plants and shrubs, washes parking lots and walkways, and floods outdoor ice rinks operating water trucks.
- Changes park garbage bags; repairs barrels as needed, and picks-up litter/debris in parks.
- Installs and maintains outdoor ice rinks: installs rink boards, floods ice, removes snow, etc.
- Responsible for the co-ordination and set up of special events.
- Respond to public inquiries.
- Hauls materials to work-sites, e.g. soil, gravel, etc.
- Manufactures and installs parking curbs, patio stones, baseball plates, etc.
- Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of up to one year - University of Guelph Horticulturalist Certificate or Humber College Horticulture Science 1 and one of the following Hort 2, Hort 3 or Hort 4, or equivalent.
- Over two (2) years, up to and including four (4) years related experience in a parks/horticulture environment.
- A valid, non-probationary Ontario Class DZ driver’s license.
- Front End Loader Qualification.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply quoting the file number 101965 by January 15, 2016 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.comand search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.