Manager, Parks Operations
Working for the City means you are part of something big, something special!! You will be part for a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people that are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga.
"People choose Mississauga for its connected, vibrant outdoor public spaces, memorable experiences and recognize it as a leader in natural environmental stewardship. Come be a part of the Parks and Forestry Leadership Team that delivers world class outdoor public spaces to residents and visitors of Mississauga. The City of Mississauga strives to provide an environment that cultivates and supports the following core values: Trust, Quality and Excellence."
Here's What You Get To Do:
Under the direction of the Director, Parks & Forestry, be responsible for the development and maintenance of City-owned parks and Cemeteries by delivering services to meet user needs in a large cosmopolitan city. Develops, promotes and implements the vision for Mississauga’s Parks including developing strategic plans to eliminate barriers and optimize opportunities.
- Responsible for developing business partnerships, corporate sponsorships, stewardship and volunteer opportunities to promote financial sustainability and greater community engagement
- Assists the Director and Commissioner in developing master plans in carrying out feasibility and business studies to meet future growth demands in the City. Recommends new and revised service frameworks to meet public needs.
- Maintains and creates new revenue sources in cooperation with Divisional resources.
- Responsible for the proactive planning, implementation and coordination of city wide parks service delivery including required design inputs, planning priorities, budgetary resource allocations and sustainable parks and open space service delivery mechanisms.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures related to Parks Operations
- Ensures by-laws related to Parks, Cemeteries and Marinas are current; works with Legal and Security Services to amend by-laws as required
- Delivers services relating to parks, trails and open spaces both in passive park areas, active parkland, festival and special event venues, programming and amenities along with significant natural areas and woodlots.
- Responsible for Parks services requirements such as facility maintenance, park property maintenance, park programming, group and community relations, Board of Education local relations, sport field maintenance and resolving Ward Councillor and resident concerns and issues.
- Responsible for programming in selected park areas which will attract residents, promote community engagement and active living.
- Ensures continuous improvement and oversees staff development programs which encourage the effective maintenance and management of the City's sports fields, trails, parks and related areas.
- Responsible for the overall delivery and management of the City’s cemetery services, along with overseeing the development of annual work plans for operational services, cemeteries and marketing staff to support internal and external clients for the Parks and Forestry Division.
- Oversees the operation of the City’s two marina operations
- Manages the recruitment, training, evaluation and scheduling of staff resources to meet the expectations of the public from programs and services.
- Leads, coaches and supervises staff including hiring, training, administers performance management process, ensures communication and recognition of staff are implemented.
- Ensures due diligence is undertaken by all parks staff concerning risk management and occupational health and safety issues.
- Prepares corporate reports and recommendations for the Director, Commissioner, Leadership Team, General Committee and Council and conducts presentations as required.
- Manages data and metrics and costings for the purposes of key performance indicators and program measures.
- Champions the 2 Way Communication Program in the Parks & Forestry Division. Participates as a member of the Parks & Forestry Leadership Team, Corporate, Developmental, and Division Working Groups, Committees, and Special projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Here's What You Bring To The Table:
- Graduation from a recognized university in Horticulture, Turf Management, Park Planning and Design, Public/Business Administration, Parks Administration or related academic area
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in all aspects of park development and maintenance.
- Demonstrated success in developing vision and long term strategic plans showing innovation and creativity including strong change management principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the principles of community development, land use planning, facilities management, park maintenance operations, cemetery operations, recreation programming, municipal administration and human resources management.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills including sound judgement, tact and discretion.
- Success in building teams and developing positive working relationships with elected officials, senior management, colleagues including Park Planning, Development and Forestry team members as well as direct reports and members of the public.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, report writing and presentation abilities.
- Ability to liaise effectively with the public, elected officials and outside agencies.
- Must possess strong financial, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must have excellent customer service experience.
- Established intermediate skills and experience using PC/laptop equipment and relevant software applications.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s Licence
Here are some initiatives Parks and Operations are currently working on:
Natural Heritage and Urban Forest Strategy
Urban Forest Management Plan
Guide to the Natural Heritage and Urban Forestry Strategy
2014 Future Directions
Our Future Mississauga Strategic Plan
Hours of Work: 35 hour per week
Salary: $104,099 - $138,799
Closing Date: June 1, 2015
Number of Openings: 1 Permanent Full-time
Department/Division/Unit: Community Services Department/Parks and Forestry Division
Please apply directly at the City of Mississauga’s MyCityCareers website below:
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform City Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act .