Temporary Full Time Bargaining Unit Position: Park Operations Technician - Shades Mill C.A
The Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) has an international reputation for excellence in managing the natural resources of the largest inland river system in southern Ontario. Encompassing approximately 6,800 square kilometres, the Grand River watershed has a population of almost one million people in 39 municipalities and two First Nations. Designated as a Canadian Heritage River, the Grand River and its major tributaries boast many outstanding human heritage features and excellent recreational opportunities. The GRCA is committed to environmental protection by delivering services that ensure the well-being of the environment and its inhabitants.
The Park Operations Technician is responsible to perform a variety of maintenance, security and gate duties, as well as dam, nature centre or pool duties as applicable, and to assist in the day to day operation of the park.
1. Participate in the maintenance and development of the Conservation Area and related lands, equipment and structures (dams, nature centres, etc); also involves participation in special projects and winter activities and programs.
2. Coordinate the work of students, primarily in the summer; and help provide training and ongoing instruction on machinery, equipment and other safe work procedures.
3. Enforce Conservation Authority policies and regulations at Conservation Area and satellite areas, as applicable.
4. Assist in all areas throughout the park as needed e.g., gatehouse admissions, security, etc.
5. Perform routine maintenance on equipment, other maintenance tasks throughout the park and basic carpentry and plumbing work
6. Provide customer service to patrons by answering questions, responding to issues, etc.
7. Assist with head office duties as required and perform building inspections.
8. Dams: Provide accurate and timely reports through regular dam readings/monitoring; respond as appropriate in emergency situations; perform routine dam maintenance; coordinate special projects as required; carry out river watch duties as required. Be able to carry out daily and emergency dam operations effectively.
9. Provide administrative support to the Superintendent as assigned.
1. Completion of a college diploma program or equivalent and at least two complete seasons of relevant work experience in a Conservation Area or park.
2. Knowledge of and experience operating and performing basic maintenance on a variety of medium and small equipment
3. Basic carpentry and plumbing skills.
4. Working knowledge of the following legislation for enforcement and public inquiries: Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act. , Conservation Authorities Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Highway Traffic Act, WHMIS, Small Vessels Act, Liquor Licence Act, Trespass to Property Act, Water Resources Act, Snowmobile and Off-road Vehicle Act.
5. Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
6. Strong computer skills in MS Office. Experience with online reservation systems and point of sale applications is considered an asset.
7. Valid current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR.
8. Valid Driver's Licence
9. Small Drinking Water System Operator Certificate and/or Wastewater Treatment Operator License is considered an asset.
10. P.O.A. designation is preferred
A requirement of this position is to work every other weekend year-round and to be on standby on a regular basis (approximately every other week). When on standby, you must be able to respond to the dam at New Dundee and Shades Mill C.A within 40 minutes or less.
The pay range for this position is Job Level 5 $23.19 to $28.98 per hour
Term of Employment: Approximately June 2013 to February 2014
Approximate Start Date: June 2013
To Apply: Please send a resume and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in MS Word or PDF format and quote “Park Operations Technician #316” in the subject line.
Deadline for Applications: 4:00pm Wednesday May 29, 2013
We thank you for your interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.