General Manager, Parks & Recreation
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and
excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Community & Social Services, the General Manager of Parks and Recreation
will provide leadership in the development, operation and maintenance of over 1,000 hectares of parks and open space, over 70 km of trails and paths, 110 sports fields facilities and a number of community and recreation centres. This position will be responsible for the development, enhancement and provision of safe, affordable, accessible and quality open spaces, recreation facilities and programming to support a thriving, healthy and active community. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
• Provide leadership in the development, operation and maintenance of quality community open spaces, recreation facilities and leisure activity programming that
builds a reputation for excellence in service design and delivery.
• Provide strategic oversight to the management of neighbourhood parks and ensure engagement with the community for the renovation, restoration or creation of park space as living community centres.
• Grow a sustainable network of recreational infrastructure and ensure Council approved development and service standards are achieved.
• Track on an on-going basis, best practices, technical trends, developments and advances in recreation and leisure programming, facility operations and management
for potential application in the division.
• Conduct research and best practice reviews to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of services and programs for parks and open spaces.
• Provide visible and positive leadership to staff, developing and nurturing a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff.
• Oversee the development of departmental and corporate policies, standard operating procedures, customer service standards and best management practices.
• Engage with stakeholders and develop new strategies to optimize the use of civic and public space through programming that reflects the diversity of needs within the community.
• Collaborate and liaise with other departments on
complementary initiatives to achieve optimum
results for the City and residents.
• Maintain good working relationships with all stakeholders, including customers, the
Mayor and members of Council, the Executive Team, General Managers and Managers, all staff, the media and the Community at large.
• Establish long-term direction/strategic orientation for the department consistent with the Corporate Strategic Plan.
• Establish the annual work plan for the department and for staff and evaluate performance; monitor results and provide coaching, training and development opportunities as needed.
• Promote and monitor Health and Safety for compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Ensure compliance with City policies, Council resolutions/by-laws and other applicable federal and provincial legislation.
• Proactively communicate departmental programs and achievements to Council, the community and all stakeholders.
• Respond verbally and in writing regarding issues related to the department’s service delivery from members of Council, the general public, media, other staff,
departments, and customers.
• Recommend staff reports and presentations to the Executive Director, communicating information and recommending program changes.
• Establish policies, operating procedures, work methods and standards for the department and for contracted services; monitor performance and initiate corrective
action as required.
• Responsible for the preparation, presentation and management of the department’s capital and operating budgets.
• Analyze and optimize revenues and pursue grant funding to complement existing budgets.
• Consolidate and review departmental annual work plans and capital and operating budgets for the department with recommendations to the Executive Director.
• Monitor and report budget variance to the Executive Directors of Community and Social Services. Implement corrective action as required.
• Ensure compliance with all City policies and bylaws for purchasing/tendering.
• Review calls for tender and purchase requisitions requiring approval for the department on contracted services in accordance with established policies.
Performance Monitoring and Measurement
• Establish a quality assurance program to monitor the department’s annual performance against established departmental key performance indicators and industry best practices and initiate corrective action as required.
• Considerable knowledge and expertise related to
the duties listed above, normally acquired through a post-secondary diploma or degree in Recreation, Facilities Management or a related field, and progressively
responsible experience related to parks and recreation; candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered/
• Proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable federal and provincial legislation.
• Knowledge and understanding of park planning and development processes including site planning and land development.
• Experience with Parks and Recreation Ontario’s High Five Program.
• Demonstrated leadership skills acquired through considerable experience leading and motivating staff.
• Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
• Must be skilled in effective project/program management techniques.
• Proven ability to deliver presentations and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Results oriented with excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and public relations skills.
• Demonstrated commitment towards continuous learning, growth and the achievement of high performance.
• Proven ability to successfully manage budgets and achieve performance targets.
• Proven ability to set priorities, solve problems and meet deadlines under pressure.
$109,806.69 - $137,258.36
How to Apply:
Applications must be received online by May 5, 2014
. To apply for this position, please visit http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ for further detailed instructions
. Please follow the instructions and follow all steps to the process. In order to be
considered for this position you must complete all of the steps when creating your profile. This will include a short online screening questionnaire specific to this position as
part of the application process. You will also need to attach both your cover letter and resume saved as one document (PDF format preferred). If you have already created a profile, you may simply login to begin your application.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping
with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.