Qualifying for an OPA Foundation (OPAF) Scholarship or Bursary Award
Who qualifies for an award?
Application for an OPAF Scholarship or Bursary Award is open to Canadian Citizens or Landed Immigrants who wish to pursue their education in any phase of public parks work, related horticulture or landscaping, conservation, or environmental resource management.
The following rules govern consideration for applications:
Applicants must be enrolled in a recognized Ontario educational institution in a parks, related horticulture or landscaping, conservation, or environmental resource management field. (Note the Len Stanley "King of Kew" Scholarship is open to U.S. and Canadian students.)
Applications are only available to students who are in the process of completing their first year of studies in a recognized University or College in Ontario.
Awards to successful applicants will be granted with confirmation of enrollment and continuation of study in second year.
Bursaries and Scholarships will be granted on merit, which will be evaluated by the Selection Committee on criteria submitted in the application package.
Bursaries and Scholarships are limited to one per successful applicant.
Why should you apply?
- The five awards are given out each year.
- Less stress! As a successful applicant you will be able to better focus on your studies, with extra money contributing to your educational expenses.
- Completing the application will give you experience in competing for funds. Have the confidence to apply – one application is all you need – the committee will determine which bursary or scholarship (bursary also requires a completed “One Year of Study Budget”) is best suited to the most qualified applicant.
- Applications are due on or before Friday, May 27 – so, don’t hesitate! Compile the information, secure the references and draft a cover letter!
- Receiving an award looks good on a resume!
- Successful applicants are honoured by the OPA and OPAF and in the Green Sward (the OPA newsletter) – a valuable addition to your portfolio
- Successful applicants receive a one year membership to the OPA, providing the student with networking, educational and career opportunities of a life time!
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be postmarked prior to midnight on Friday, May 27.
Five first year Ontario college or university students, who qualify and complete the requirements of application, are recognized each year with awards by the OPAF.
The goal of the Ontario Parks Association Foundation (OPAF) is to raise funds to assist deserving students who wish to pursue their education in any phase of public parks work, related horticulture or landscaping, conservation, or environmental resource management.
How to apply